Tier 5 (Temporary Work) Visa
What is it?
The Tier 5 Temporary Work visa allows certain types of temporary workers to enter the UK to satisfy cultural, charitable, religious or international objectives including volunteering and job shadowing.
What are the main requirements?
In order to qualify for a Tier 5 Temporary Work visa for the UK the applicant must be able to demonstrate that:
- they have a UK sponsor who has issued them with a Certificate of Sponsorship;
- the role is supernumerary;
- they have at least £945 in savings and have held this for at least 90 days prior to making the application;
- they will be paid at least the National Minimum Wage; and
- they do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.
How long can I stay and what are the conditions of my stay?
Applicants can apply to come to the UK for a maximum period of 12 or 24 months depending on the scheme they are applying under. If applying for a shorter stay, an applicant will be granted leave in line with the time stated on the Certificate of Sponsorship plus 28 days.
During their stay in the UK, applicants can study, work in the role described on their Certificate of Sponsorship and undertake certain supplementary work of up to 20 hours per week. Applicants cannot take a permanent job or access public funds.
This is not a route which leads to settlement in the UK.